Cheryl Murfin, CD, CBE, CLE & Diana Hinek, CD
Let us start by saying we believe in you, your body and your baby and in your ability to work together toward the birth you want. We also believe the months leading up to and after the birth of your child are as important as the day he or she arrives. That is why we want to provide you and your family a wealth of information and support during this exciting transition. Together, we are eager to provide you with vital prenatal education, labor preparation referral to prenatal/postpartum massage, yoga and other self-care services, childbirth and sibling preparation classes for your family, referral to a wide range of maternity providers before your baby is born, full support during your labor, breastfeeding or feeding support after your baby arrives, and newborn/family photography. No matter what comes up, I've got you covered from belly to baby and, hopefully, beyond!
Cheryl Murfin, CD, CBE, CLE, Postpartum Doula.
People often ask me why I do what I do, given the long hours and emotional tenor of the job. Here's why: every time I am given the honor of attending a birth, I am amazed -- by the strength of women, the smarts of their babies, the resiliency of families. I learn something new from every family I serve -- about love, opening up and hope.
These lessons remind me I am part of a web of families around the world who are helping each other visualize a better world for our children.
The path to this work was meandering. I started my work life as a newspaper reporter - an exciting, high energy career but one generally focused on the things that go wrong in the world. In having my own children, I realized I wanted to have a work about creating good rather than reporting bad. I eventually moved into nonprofit communications, serving five years as Communications Director for Children's Home Society of Washington.
The births of my children included midwives, family practice doctors, obstetricians and doulas - each of these practitioners helped me give birth with dignity and power. Through them, I made the connection that how we are born matters. Feeling empowered to make our birth choices, feeling fully supported and informed, creating environments that result in a gentle, calm birth matters to us as parents, it matters to children as their first experience of the world outside the womb and it matters to their future as they consider bringing forth the next generation.
Soon after the birth of my first child, my daughter Madeleine, I began a self-study in midwifery, I wanted to learn all that could about this art, which I had thought ended in the Middle Ages. Not so, I learned. Today's midwives are well-educated, highly skilled, maternity care providers for low risk women and in fact research shows they have the lowest rate of interventions and poor birth outcomes. I also began assisting women, starting with friends and family, toward the kind of births I'd experienced -- where each mother felt able, strong, sure, empowered and supported. I started my practice as a doula before I knew the word doula.
Since 1995, through many work and family transitions, I have been a contributing editor at A New Arrival Magazine and Seattle’s Child Magazine and other parenting publications. I take great pride in creating a community of parenting through shared stories and ideas.
Over the years, I’ve completed both DONA International doula certification and PALS Doulascertification programs -- these professional organizations help to ensure that doulas provide evidence-based care and adhere to a common code of ethics in practice.
Professional Path, Education & Training
Combining my experience in communications and executive management, parenting editorial and birth support, I stepped into the role of Executive Director of the Seattle Midwifery School in 2005. The school is now the Master of Science in Midwifery program at Bastyr University, the first school in the U.S. to graduate direct-entry midwives at the Masters Degree level. I am deeply honored to have played a role in this momentous change.
- B.A University of Washington
- Non-Profit Management Professional Certificate, University of Washington
- Former Executive Director, Seattle Midwifery School
- Former Executive Director, Simkin School for Allied Birth Vocations
- Former Communications Director, Children’s Home Society of Washington
- PALS Doula, Certified Doula
- DONA (Doulas of North America International), Member
- Doulas of Souther California, Member
- Volunteer Childbirth Educator and Labor Support Provider to the CHS Teen Parent Home & University of Washington Perinatal Services 2001-2005
- When Survivors Give Birth, trained by Penny Simkin, PT, CD, CDT
- When A Baby Dies, trained by Carrie Kenner, CD, CDT
- Professional Education in Breastfeeding & Lactation series, Simkin School
- Trained as a Childbirth Educator, Simkin School
- Certified Northwest Birth Assistant
- Certified Lactation Educator, Evergreen Perinatal Education
- Supporter of DONA and REACHE annual conferences
- Supporter MAWS annual conference
- Former Board Member Seattle Midwifery School
- Founding Board Member Association of Midwifery Educators
- Certified Neonatal Resuscitation, American Heart Association
- Certified CPR Adult/Child provider, American Heart Assocition
- Member Midwifery Association of Washington State
- Member Midwifery Association of California
Diana Hinek, CD, ArtShaped Photography. First let me say that I am passionate about birth and babies. I believe the birthing experience and the little ones who come through us are the beginning of all that is life. They are source of love and healing power that enable us to change the world. Each birth is the starting point of new cycle that can transform our universe. Thus I believe that to make peace with our past, we need to start by healing our births and by giving mothers the care and support they deserve to birth on their own terms.
I love to work with families who are open to change and growth; who believe that a safe birth and childhood holds the secret to a healthier planet. My mission is to inform, empower and advocate for the labor family and help with the wonderful transition that is becoming a new parent. As a doula, I value my role in accompanying you during labor while advocating with you for a safe and empowering birthing experience. Like a conscious mother would. Together, we walk journey from birth to new parenthood and beyond, creating an experience of care that is sacred and powerful, nurturing and holistic.
I was born and raised in Verona, Italy. My arly study of ballet, theatre and contemporary dance whet my appetite for visual beauty. After completing a BA in Film's Studies and a Master's Degree in Digital Imaging in London, I moved to California where I started working in the Visual Effects Industry as a Visual Effects Compositor on movies such as Sin City, Memoirs of a Geisha and the Marvel Superheros. I opened Artshaped Photography to focus on birth & lifestyle photography specializing in fine, artsy and colorful portraiture. I am very passionate about visually documenting families during their journey through pregnancy, brith and parenthood.
My true love for birth began on the day my daughter was born. It was then that I realized there is no more beautiful journey than being a mother or father. Nine years later, my heart has expanded twice more thanks to the births of my two sons. Here's what I've learned about myself in motherhood:
Among babies is where I am most comfortable. I enjoy baking late in the evening and craft new dreams until the deep hours of the night. I am passionate about travels and I gravitate towards the diverse and new. I love a good tear inducing laugh. I believe there are not enough hugs in the world. I could skip nights of sleep to finish a good book and cry for weeks after watching a soulful movie. I have been blessed by three magnificent childrenand a glorious husband. I revere a tight community of healers, heart hustlers and soul advocates.
I was trained and certified as a birth doula through the The Sanctuary Birth and Family Wellness Center in Los Angeles, training doulas to provide evidence-based care and adhere to a common code of ethics in practice.
Professional Path, Education & Training
- Certified Doula; The Sanctuary Birth and Family Wellness Center
- Certified Placenta Encapsulation; Midwife Heather Schwartz
- The Homebirth Ceserean Workshop with Courtney Jarecky certified completion
- 'From Womb to World' completion certified
- BA/BSC Films and Mass communication University of London
- MSC of Photography and Digital Imaging University of London
- Visual Effects Compositor for Zoic Studios
- Visual Effects Compositor for The Orphanage San Francisco
- Visual Effects Compositor for Marvel Entertainment